About The Global Law Group, PLC
John M. Huddle
Mr. Huddle is the founder and CEO of The Global Law Group, PLC, a law firm providing highly specialized and proactive solutions to the needs of businesses in today’s challenging, but lucrative, global marketplace. Prior to forming the firm in 2002, Mr. Huddle organized and chaired the international practice group of one of the largest law firms in Virginia, and he was a shareholder and Director in that firm.
For over 30 years, Mr. Huddle has represented a diverse group of non-U.S. and U.S. clients in regard to international transactions and business law matters. His U.S. practice is national in scope. His foreign clients hail from a wide range of countries, and his representation extends in some cases to lead international counsel on a global basis. His areas of expertise include:
- International and domestic distribution and IP licensing networks
- Mergers, acquisitions, strategic alliances, and joint ventures
- Trademark registration and enforcement (U.S. and international)
- Export regulations/sanctions programs (compliance programs, enforcement, classifications and licensing)
- Export tax incentives (IC-DISC and its predecessor programs, ETI, FSC, and DISC)
- Foreign direct investment (including corporate matters and site selection, acquisition and financing)
- Foreign subsidiaries, branches and affiliates of US companies
- Corporate matters
Export Tax Incentives Experience: Mr. Huddle began practicing in 1984 when the current “IC-DISC” federal export tax incentive legislation became effective. Since that time, he has implemented IC-DISC strategies for a wide range of clients throughout the U.S. for companies owned by U.S. and foreign nationals. He was actively involved in the drafting and adoption in 2014 of Virginia’s state exemption of IC-DISC income. He regularly speaks on this topic at continuing legal education programs, international trade conferences, and in-house training sessions, and he has authored a number of articles in this field. His experience with the other export tax incentive programs that have also existed over the past 30 years (DISC, FSC and ETI) enhance his understanding of and effectiveness with the IC-DISC program.
Publications: Mr. Huddle has authored numerous articles for legal, trade association, governmental and other publications, and he also regularly publishes articles for dissemination to clients and associates of his firm. His recent publications include:
- “International Sales Intermediary Contracts: Strategies for Success and Traps for the Unwary” Virginia Lawyer (April, 2013)
- “The Vital Role of Trade and the International Practice Section” Virginia Lawyer (April, 2013)
- “Export Tax Incentives: A Tool You Cannot Afford to Ignore” US Export Assistance Center Newsletter (Winter, 2012)
- “Legal Alert: Is My Branding Strategy a Ticking Time Bomb?” Insight (Fall 2011) Southern U.S. Trade Association.
Mr. Huddle frequently speaks in the U.S. and abroad at continuing legal education, international trade and business conferences, and to industry, trade, governmental and professional groups. Among his recent speaking engagements are the following:
- Export Tax Incentives (A Tool You Cannot Afford to Ignore) & CAFTA-DR Country Tax Traps for the Unwary (Export Opportunities In Costa Rica for U.S. Companies, National Webinar January 21, 2015).
- Tax Considerations for Exporting (Discover Global Markets, National Business Forum Series, U.S. Commercial Service, Charlotte, N.C. October 29-31, 2014).
- Export Controls Developments and Ethical Dilemmas of Relevance to Business Lawyers (75th Annual Meeting of the Virginia State Bar, June 14, 2013).
- Export Controls Essentials for Every Business Lawyer (live program May 30, 2013; video replays ongoing) hosted by Virginia Continuing Legal Education.
- Tools for Success in International Sales Intermediary Contracts and Dispute Resolution (live program May 30, 2013; video replays ongoing) hosted by Virginia Continuing Legal Education.
- Going Global: International is Not Just for Conglomerates Any More (42nd Annual Advanced Business Law Conference of the Virginia State Bar, October 13, 2012 and videotape replays).
- Compliance Essentials in a Dynamic Global Market (Export Compliance Conference of Virginia International Business Council, November 12, 2013).
- Strategies for Successful Compliance Programs: Pitfalls and Traps for the Unwary (74th Annual Meeting of the Virginia State Bar, June, 2012).
Mr. Huddle’s speaking engagements have also included numerous other programs in the U.S. and abroad, including Japan, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (Riyadh and Jeddah Chambers of Commerce and Industry), U.S.-Saudi Arabian Business Council, the U.S. Department of Commerce, state economic development and export assistance agencies, SBA, SBDC and regional trade associations on topics in his field of expertise, including: IC-DISC, international contracts, export regulations and sanctions programs, and global trademark protection.
Professional leadership positions and associations include:
- Appointed by U.S. Secretary of Commerce to U.S. District Export Council, VA-Washington, D.C. (Chair 2005-2009 appointee member since 2003)
- Va. State Bar International Practice Section (Chair 2008-2013; 2002-2003; Member, Board of Governors 1994-present; Treasurer 2013-2014; Secretary 2014-2015)
- Va. State Bar Business Law Section (Member, Board of Governors 2013-present)
- Virginia International Business Council (VAIBC) (Member, Board of Directors and Secretary, 2014-present)
- Society of International Business Fellows (SIBF) (Chairman, Membership Committee Virginia; 2015-Present)
- Chairman, IPR Subcommittee of National Steering Committee for U.S. District Export Councils (2007-2008)
- National Steering Committee for U.S. District Export Councils (Member, 2005-2007)
- Export Legal Assistance Network, US SBA Program (2006-Present)
- Chairman, World Trade Alliance of the Blue Ridge (1995-2001) [Gubernatorial appointment] (State agency created to promote international trade throughout Blue Ridge Region)
- Va. Economic Development Partnership “VALET” Export Promotion Program: selected to provide international legal expertise to Virginia exporters under that program (2001-2007)
- Officer, board and general counsel positions in various regional international trade associations since 1994
- INTA (International Trademark Association)
Education: University of Virginia School of Law (J.D., 1984); James Madison University (B.S., 1980)
For Information on how The Global Law Group, PLC may assist you or your clients, please contact us.
Copyright 2015. All rights reserved.
*Disclaimer: This website is intended to provide information of general interest to the public and does not offer legal advice. We do not intend to create an attorney-client relationship by inviting you to contact us, and do not provide us any privileged or confidential information if you contact us. Contacting us shall not be deemed to create an attorney-client relationship. Nothing on this site creates an express or implied contract.